Who is Sloane?
Sloane - Sister, daughter, friend, wife, dog mom. Writer. Eating disorder survivor. Body image warrior.
Add: Life Coach.
I enjoy all things outdoors, my two labradoodles, art, writing, and helping people! I've been through a lot, and have only grown from it. I share my story to let others know they're not alone. I have empathy, and now tools to help others through life struggles and times we don't know where to step next. I love this quote:
"You've been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved."
In college, my background is in psychology and journalism. I also competed at a high level in athletics as a volleyball player.
I have been certified as an Academic Life Coach. But that doesn't mean I only work with students. I have worked with students, athletes, women, and men.
My story begins as a Type-A personality, athlete, straight-A student who was happy and thriving. Then, I was bullied. I developed an eating disorder, was stripped of my sport, and lost my identity through it all. After an in-patient stay, and my family saying "goodbye" to me in a hospital bed, I turned my life around.
After five years of not touching a volleyball, I returned to complete my collegiate eligibility, went to two Division-II Final Fours, got my Bachelor's degree, and learned how to relax around food, love myself, and value my body. At first, I did it for my family. Now, I do it for myself.
Here I am, helping others do the same!
What is your approach?
I've been through some tough times and can honestly tell you that I wouldn't have been able to navigate life's difficulties without support.
Sometimes we need help & it takes courage to ask for it!
What I Offer In All Coaching:
- Unlimited text and e-mail support - Eating disorders are 24 hours, 7 days a week; not 1 hour each week, like you'll get in therapy sessions. I am available all the time, included in your session's fee.
- A plan and follow-through - When the team of doctors recommends certain caloric requirements, rest, and social integration, I don't put it all on the client. Together, we come up with an individual, realistic plan of attack to meet his or her needs. I follow up with clients regularly to ensure the plan is working for him or her.
- The truth - Sorry! I won't sit here allowing you to bash your body and capabilities. I won't allow you to think life with an eating disorder is the only way. I'm here to push you when you're not doing everything you need to do, and illuminate the life you deserve.
- Resources - I get that not everyone has access to a full team; it can be expensive in time and money! I work with you to find valuable resources in the community, with families, and build a support that works for you.
- Understanding - I understand life is complicated. Not all persons who suffer with an eating disorder have the luxury of only focusing on that. Sometimes, they're also athletes, mothers, fathers, employees, and have a lot going on. I meet clients where they are. This means we can do Skype calls, and it means that I don't push clients to do and be what they're not.
- 20 Minute Complimentary Consultation - You may not know me, or what I do. We'll get to know each other, you can ask questions you may have and talk about your needs. Then you can decide if you want to continue our relationship.
Eating Disorder Recovery Coaching:
I offer coaching that is client-centered. This means that not all clients with eating disorders struggle with the same challenges, and need the same thing. I tune into what the client needs and allow them to take the lead on where we need to go. Of course, I'll challenge him or her along the way and keep the client on track, to get them where they want to go.
In recovery, I believe persons who struggle need a team of professionals (doctors, nutritionist) to hit the disorder from different angles and ensure health is the priority. I believe weight and food aren't the problems, but sometimes weight needs to be addressed.
"Weight-First" is my philosophy to persons who need to gain weight. Without proper nutrition, our cognition is compromised. I can still provide coaching surrounding mealtime anxiety, family outings, and following through with the game plan. From there, we can work on body image, behavior modification, and different approaches tailored to the person in recovery, or wishes to be there.
I will address topics such as:
- Limitations and obstacles in recovery
- Fear food challenges
- Making recovery work, wherever you are in life
- Self care practices
- Dealing with weight restoration
- Body image
- Meal planning
- Addressing triggers and coping mechanisms
- Family dynamics, relationships, and boundaries
- Exercise and over-exercise compulsion
- Mindfulness and relaxation
- Getting back on track after a relapse
Eating Disorder Family Coaching:
I know this one. It still pains me to think about my own family going through this alone.
They didn't know what to do, what to say/not say, and how to cope with their little girl killing herself slowly, everyday. So many parents and loved ones reach out to me asking for help, and everyone's needs are different.
Family coaching is tailored to each individual, both the eating disorder client, as well as the family. In Family Coaching, I will:
- Facilitate group coaching, and one-on-one
- Explore ways to support your loved one
- Empower your loved one to think outside his or her body and food
- Make mealtime enjoyable
- Foster confidence in your loved one
I'm honored to be in your life!
What is life coaching?
Life Coaching is different from therapy. Sometimes we need to talk about the past so we can create our lives, but that's behind us. I want to talk about now and the future you want to create.
Life Coaching is different from mentoring. I don't want to give you advice and tell you exactly what you need to do. I believe what worked for one person, might not work for another. I will help you create solutions and consider options that are best for YOU.
You have the answers, you just might not know it. I want to help you get there.
I want to work with you in our time together and help you get what you want out of our sessions, and your life.
You aren't broken.
You don't need to be fixed.
What would it be like to have every area of your life be a 10/10? I want to empower you with the tools and confidence to always move forward in each aspect of your life.
I always offer a free consultation if you're still not sure you're sold on this whole coaching thing.